14th June 2013
Last night’s Funny Women Challenge the Men at the Barber-Surgeons’ Hall in the City of London was a triumph in every sense of the word – great comedy, wonderful atmosphere, historic …
THE COMEDY WRITING AWARD
in assoCiation with the comedy unit and the huffington post
What is the comedy writing award?
We know that not every writer is a performer, so this an opportunity for those happier behind the scenes to truly shine. That's why we're happy to be continuing the Comedy Writing Award in 2013, in association with award winning comedy production company The Comedy Unit, and leading news platform The Huffington Post.
Andrea Mann, Comedy Editor of The Huffington Post UK, had this to say about working with the Comedy Writing Award this year: "As someone who likes to champion women in comedy- as well as being a woman myself- I'm delighted, as Comedy Editor of The Huffington Post UK, to be involved in the Funny Women Awards. There are so many brilliant, funny women trying who deserve to have the spotlight shone on them- especially those who work behind the scenes as writers- and I believe these awards help to do just that."
£500 script option fee for a 12 month development period, including three weeks intensive mentoring to complete the 30 minute script with dedicated access to a professional script editor.
- Before you begin, please take a gander at The Comedy Unit's useful tips for Comedy Writing HERE
- Short synopsis of the idea- maximum one page
- Entries will be 8-15 pages maximum of a 30 minutes comedy script for television.
- The comedy script must be aimed at television/visual production.
- The comedy script can take the form of a sitcom, sketch, comedy drama, character monologue, anything realy! But it must feel like it would work as a coherent whole across a 30 minute audience experience i.e. ten 3 minute web viral episodes stuck together is NOT a 30 minute script
- The sample does not have to begin at the start of the script, but must run straight through from where it does start
- If you feel it necessary you can add a short paragraph detailing any relevant/key story information that isn't in the script sample (e.g. how the story started before the sample, how it will end after etc.)
- As part of Funny Women's dedication to new talent, only those who have not previously had a paid script commission are eligible to enter.
How to enter:
- Please save your writing award submission in PDF (preferred), .doc or rtf file formats, with the title of the work and your name in the script title.
- Ensure that your name, email address and phone number are included on the document.
- Entrants must be registered for the Funny Women Awards in order to enter (link below). If you have already registered under a performance category (e.g. Main Award), you DO NOT need to register a second time.
- Please send entries to firstname.lastname@example.org with 'Comedy Writing Award' in the subject bar
- Closing date for submissions is 31ST AUGUST 2013
- A shortlist of six scripts will be presented to industry judges.* Three finalists will be invited to the Funny Women Awards Final on Monday 23rd September at the Leicester Square Theatre where the winner will be announced.
*You can read about last year's judges, including award winning writers Hattie Naylor and Harry Venning, HERE
13th June 2013
Hot on the heels of the Funny Women Charity Challenge, which celebrated our 10th Anniversary in March 2012 – we’ve taken up the gauntlet thrown down by some of our lovely supportive men fr…
9:40pm June 18th
Looking for a complete immersion into the world of comedy writing, stand-up & improv? Then look no further! http://t.co/Jhld4kyRGH
8:35pm June 18th
Can a mentor gain just as much wisdom from their mentee as they are supposed to be imparting? We think so! http://t.co/3rFsCAiJjD
7:35pm June 18th
6:46pm June 18th
.@StylistBrighton interviews the woman responsible for creating the one-woman show Edith, Elizabeth and I: http://t.co/ISJUHBEdbh
5:36pm June 18th
We're supporting @RefugeCharity with our Awards this year, and you can too. Simply text ‘JOKE13 £5’ to 70070 to donate £5 to Refuge!